Thursday, December 25, 2008

Yes Man

This is not going to be just about the movie that I watched yesterday, but also about the general movie going experience.

I have always enjoyed Jim Carrey's movies, but this is the first time I actually went out for one of them. I have watched a number of his other movies on HBO or Star Movies and enjoyed every single one of them. Our friend Bhatti, who has never once watched a Jim Carrey movie, was not too enthusiastic about this one either, because he did not have a very high opinion of Jim or his movies. I wonder how someone can form an opinion on this subject without watching The Mask or the Ace Ventura movies or anything else, for that matter.

Yes Man was everything I expect from Jim, and more. It had all of us in splits the whole time. It's not too often that I laugh this hard while watching a movie. Perhaps the fact that Alok always laughs so hard when he laughs at something, and that he was sitting right next to me, also made a difference. It was a light-hearted, fun movie, just the kind I would want to watch when I go out with my co-workers.

Eventually Bhatti grudgingly admitted to Jim Carrey being a passably okay actor, and insulted him by comparing him with Govinda. But he did like the movie.

Oh, by the way, I was wondering where I had seen the actress who plays Lucy in this film. Lucy, by the way, was Jim's best friend's fiancée. Abhinav is generally the one with whom I discuss such things when it comes to Hollywood movies and American sitcoms. The reason why she looked so familiar to me was that she played the interviewer in Friends - The One with Joey's Interview. And Abhinav, she does not star in The O. C.

This was actually the first time I have really enjoyed a movie with my teammates. Very pleasant change from the last day before the shutdown, two years ago.

No comments: