Monday, December 29, 2008

Song Of The Year

The single song that I liked the most, heard the most, enjoyed the most, and hummed to myself the most this year was Kahin To... from Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na. This is the kind of song that makes me feel like dimming the lights, closing the door to my room, and playing it out loud, though not at an obscenely high volume which would spoil the beauty of the whole thing. This is a song that has evoked a lot of emotion in my being and still continues to do so, after being heard close to three hundred times. That's actually a pseudo-randomly generated statistic, based on the play count of one hundred and eighty in the pink media player, and an estimate of the number of times I must have played it on my iRiver and in the car. And the two occasions on which I watched this movie!

You know how some songs are full of angst, but the way they put together the words, the music, and the vocals, they actually make you feel good? These lines have exactly that effect on me:

Jaane naa kahan wo duniya hai
Jaane naa wo hai bhi ya nahin
Jahaan meri zindagi mujhse
Itni khafa nahin


And Vasundhara Das, who has just these four lines in the song, blows me away with the way she sings her four lines.

Saansein kho gayi hai kiski aahon mein
Main kho gayi hoon jaane kiski baahon mein
Manzilon se raahein dhoondhti chali
Kho gayi hai manzil kahin raahon mein

Even after disappointments (music-wise) like Ghajini, songs like this reaffirm my faith in A. R. Rahman's music and make me look forward to whatever he will be working on in the coming year.

No comments: