Sunday, January 11, 2009

Random Afterthoughts

A mixed bag of afterthoughts I had on a few recent posts.

A Thousand Splendid Suns: A Review And My Afterthoughts: I owe this book a lot. This is the book that helped me rediscover the joy of reading. I did read Lajja before this, and it was a pretty good book, but it was not powerful enough to get me addicted. Now I need a new book to read within an hour or so of finishing one. I think that this is a significant stepping stone on the path to my ultimate dream.

Feeling Safe: A lot of people have told me that I am not a very "girly" kind of girl. No matter how far that may be true, no matter how independent I may consider myself to be, there are some things that are the same for all girls across the city. It's pretty unfortunate, but quite true.

Maa Da Laadla Exits Indian Idol: You know, in the earlier rounds of the show, I used to get some amount of sadistic pleasure when Mohit got fewer votes than the rest, and was on the verge of being eliminated, had the judges not brought him back through a special wild card entry. I was wishing for him to leave the show, so that my mom would stop watching it and we could watch something else and also, we would all eat our dinner at a more reasonable hour on Fridays. But as the show progressed, I grew to like his singing, to appreciate his talent and to see the improvement with every successive round. I felt genuinely sad, and I thought it was grossly unjustified that he had to leave so soon. He had it in him to be the first or second runner up, and if it were left entirely to the judges, he would have been. Well, that's quite enough for me. No more of that show for me. Otherwise every episode will have me writing a post about the injustice.

Happy Birthday, Akash: I also miss having a known, friendly face in the diagonally adjacent cubicle, as opposed to seeing some random guy sitting there!

1 comment:

cornucopia_of_gobbledygook said...

now.. I totally agree to ur "feeling safe" funda.. These days I see an entirely 360 degree change in the attitude of my male friends... they wouldn't let me travel alone (even in the vicinity of my own house). At one end of the spectrum, you have be totally worried about the ppl ard you and then there are always the ppl who support u and would travel half way thru Delhi just to drop you off safe... awesome!!!