Monday, August 4, 2008

Visiting Chaya In The Hospital


After many days of planning and somebody or the other always being too loaded with work, on Monday we finally managed to visit Chaya. Thanks to Mohit for being accommodating enough to let me forget about the so-called "blocker" reported by our QE team and find time to see how Chaya is doing. I don't think I could have ended up with a better manager.

Anyway, this post is not about my manager. So, after much discussion on how many cars we were going to travel by and who was going with whom, Akash, Namrata and I made our way to the car parking. Akash was very enthusiastic about driving my car, and I was in a mood to let him. I found out pretty soon that this might have been a pretty bad idea, given the fact that he lost my car keys even before managing to start it up.

Moving on, he found the keys soon enough and did manage to do everything else just fine. Given the condition of the traffic that we encountered at and after South Extension, I was pretty glad I wasn't the one driving.

At the hospital, we found our way pretty easily because Akash had already visited her once over the weekend. But when Aman and company made their way through the hospital gates, they had no idea which part of the vast campus they were supposed to head for. Aman, for lack of a better question to put, asked where the typhoid patients were supposed to be. We all found it pretty hilarious at the time, though now it strikes me as a fairly logical question to ask.

So Chaya seems to be doing better now, after the few days when she did not have the energy to even answer the phone. But she is going to spend at least another couple of days at the hospital and it will be a while before she is completely back to normal. But, as Akash commented on my earlier blog post, her "Chayaism" is still with her. It was great to see her after so many days. Akash had actually shot a couple of videos with get well messages for her earlier in the day, for one of which he followed me to the gym. But his camera could only play the visual part of it, much to our disappointment. We told her that these days Akash irritates all of us more, now that she is not around for him to irritate like he used to. She thinks that might be the reason why she fell ill in the first place.

So we spent a while there, chatting and making Chaya laugh. Accusing her of pretending to be sick just so she could get some time off work. I think she felt a little better after that. I think we all felt good after that.

Oh, and by the way, this is possibly not completely relevant here but I do want to put in a few words about my drive home. Given the condition of the roads there, I was a little apprehensive about driving by myself through Naraina. In the rain. But then again, as some of my friends will recall, the day I first drove my car, when I barely knew how to, it was raining. And it was night time then. It was night time today. The whole thing did not turn out to be as quite as horrific as I had anticipated. It was the part about parking my car at home that turned out to be a bit of a horror. There was a huge mess of cars all over the place. All my favourite spots were taken. There was this one decent, but slightly precarious spot that I, for a while, tried to park neatly in, without destroying my car or any of the other ones around. There was this one moment in which I became a little irritated and thought, what the heck, so what if I scratch somebody's car? I wasn't actually going to do that, but even so, interestingly, I hadn't so far carefully noticed the car right next to where I was trying to park. This was the car about which I'd thought, so what if I bang into it? Thankfully I noticed the number plate, realized that it was my Dad's car, remembered that I wanted to live to see another sunrise, and took control of my destructive streak.

Enough digression. I hope this was a good day for Chaya. I hope she's getting better fast. Get well soon dear.

1 comment:

Akash said...

Visited her again today eve...
She is much better now but still she will be in hospital for one more week...