Sunday, August 3, 2008

One Blog Post Leads To Another

I thought I should answer the question I asked at the end of the last blog post. What is it about My Best Friend's Wedding that makes me connect to it so strongly?

Well, first of all, unrequited love always strikes a chord with me. More so when the character feeling the pangs of that emotion is a woman. Plus, I've always believed that there is nobody better to fall in love with than your best friend. I've written about that earlier on this blog, so I'm not going to expand that idea here. Then there's the thing about needing to realize that you love someone and to let them know about it before it's too late. I can completely relate to that.

If this had been a Bollywood movie, it would have had an oh-so-perfect happy ending, where Michael would have left Kimmy and married Julianne instead. Come to think of it, that is actually what happened in Yash Raj Films' cheap take off on this movie (with a gender reversal thrown in). But this movie was a little more realistic. Michael stuck with his well thought out decision to marry Kimmy. That makes it all the more effective and easier to relate to. There are bits in the movie where I feel that Michael does love Julianne too, and is contemplating leaving Kimmy for her. But I don't get that feeling at all after Julianne professes her love for him. Makes it feel pretty natural. Like a bunch of guys have told me from time to time (one of them reiterated this to me only last week), guys have a little trouble accepting girls who show an interest in them first. Because traditionally things have been the other way round. That's the way it's built into our psyches.

I like the way they leave the story at the end, when you can feel Julianne's pain and agony but you love George's attempt to cheer her up, and, what do you know, he does cheer her up. And he cheers you up too.

And then, the song that plays as the closing credits roll (I'll Be Okay by Amanda Marshall), leaves you with a hope that this is not the end, and love will come your way again, and you will some day find all the happiness that you've always been looking for and missing out on so far.

3 comments:

abhgupta said...

There is one thing I can't really fathom Bhavya. Almost all of your blog posts revolve around either chocolates, love & friendship or shopping. You've got to have some other interests in life ( and cutting nails every alternate day is not a valid option )

Bhavya said...

nahiiin... I also write about movies, family and other stuff. I wrote about mathematics, about trying to cook, about Garfield, about breaking my foot (that's not exactly an interest but it does happen to me all the time), even cricket!

Unknown said...

I certainly don't know about chocolates or shopping but as for Love...just fall in Love once and you will come to know.