Friday, August 15, 2008

More Memories

This is a follow-up to Reliving Childhood Memories.

Originally we'd settled down to watch Walt Disney's
The Jungle Book. Something has gone wrong with that DVD, so we settled for Toy Story instead. I've always loved The Jungle Book too. I love the Bare Necessities song. It has this carefree, relaxed, amazing feel to it. I adore Colonel Haathi and his herd, especially his little son, who is so exceedingly cute! Even Kaa the Boa Constrictor seems cute, even when he's trying to strangulate Mowgli to death. And My Own Home was probably the first romantic song I can recall listening to.

Disney has taken a lot of artistic liberty with the story in making this movie. I liked it so much that I could never really enjoy the actual story that Kipling originally wrote when I sat down to read it, or the TV series based on the same story, which was a lot closer to the original plot. Disney always knew what kids want, and gave then exactly that. My brother and I grew up on Disney's movies, short cartoons and comic strips. Never ventured into Batman or Chacha Choudhary or any other comic. It's stuff like The Jungle Book, Toy Story, 101 Dalmatians, Lady And The Tramp, A Bug's Life, Bambi, The Little Mermaid, The Fox And The Hound, The Lion King, Aladdin, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, and probably a whole bunch of others that I could add to this list, that never fails to strike a chord with me and always leaves me with a warm, happy glow inside. This stuff reminds me of those carefree days when we didn't have to worry about anything, just a little bit of homework perhaps, and then we could spend hours in front of the TV watching cartoons that we'd already seen umpteen times and had every scene, every dialogue memorised. And yet we never got tired of watching them all over again.

No comments: