Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Silver Lining

An old friend of mine landed in Delhi from Hyderabad a couple of days back. He said he'd been looking forward to driving in Delhi. But because of the torrential rain and the water logging everywhere, it was a nightmare. He made me realize that I'd begun dreading the downpours these days. Long gone are the days of innocence when I used to run towards the backyard or balcony (depending on which house we were living in at that point in time) and sing gleefully and enjoy the showers. When I'd wait for the first rain of the season and then enthusiastically go and get drenched. Even in my college days, I used to love taking a walk through the corridoors that were open on one side, feel a little bit of the rain and sing Mausam Ke Sargam Ko or Rimjhim Rimjhim to myself. Right now, it's pouring outside and I know that I don't have to worry about its adverse effects on traffic conditions today, but I am still unable to enjoy it fully. I'm not too sure why. I spent a few minutes in the balcony, watching the drops pelt down with a velocity demonstrative of what happens when Nature's forces come together, and then felt that I was better off in my room, watching the whole thing from my window.

I need to re-learn the forgotten art of finding the silver lining. Of not letting grey clouds block my view. We could all do with a bit of that, I guess.

No comments: