Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Boss's Time Off

Somehow I have never been able to connect to the sentiment when people bitch about their bosses. Apparently it's a pretty universal school of thought. Managers are supposed to be not nice people. A lot of people I know abide by this. I have worked with only two different bosses. The first one was my manager for four months of internship in Flextronics (That's what it was called then.). The other one has been my boss for a little over two years here in Adobe. I never felt a real need to bitch about either of them.

My boss is on a three-week vacation these days. We've spent a week in office without him. And I am actually missing him. Just like I'd miss any of my teammates with whom I was working closely and interacting on a daily basis. Someone who was not just a colleague, but also a friend to me. Because my manager never makes me feel like I am his subordinate. There were days when he used to sit with us at our desks and debug stuff with us. These days, that kind of thing rarely happens, because he has a much larger number of people and a much larger number of projects to manage. But he still finds ways to make us feel totally at ease and completely comfortable discussing any sort of professional or personal issues with him. That's what I like about him. He fits in pretty well with his subordinates.

I'm really missing his weird, bad jokes, his constant "chal gaya sab kuch?" and similar questions, his never ending chain of meetings, especially the excruciatingly long weekly status meeting, which spawns any number of meetings. Really looking forward to his return and the restoration of normalcy.

8 comments:

actinium said...

lets mail him, telling him dat we r alrdy missing him a lot :-(
n btw, he's on a 6 weeks vacation as far as i reckon, isn't it?

Akash said...

let Mohit read it :)

Bhavya said...

Gawd no!! he was supposed to come back on 6th July. Six weeks without him would be way too much for any of us to take

abhgupta said...

ohh yeah....

Bhavya said...

ohh yeah what???

Bhavya said...

Today Ashish sent the mail he wanted to send to Mohit. He sent it from my account. I'm happy to see that people who have been following my blog are able to recognize my writing style and were able to make out that I did not write that mail. Quite sadly, Ashish Chopra, who is supposedly one of these people, still cannot recognize my style. Why do I say still? Flashback to Ashish's birthday celebrations in the team. Even at that time, Bhatti, Abhinav, and a couple of other people recognized my trademark style in the comments I wrote for Ashish and the birthday boy himself failed to do so.

Bhavya said...

My respect for my manager has gone up manifold in the past couple of weeks when I've realised what he faces from the people above him and never lets us feel any of it

Joan Santani said...

It's said that there are two people with who you have to adjust come what may --- one your spouse and other is your boss.
But i find you quite lucky in this regard.
I think good people always find nice people everywhere. Probably this is the reason!