Monday, September 14, 2009

Scary World

I happened to be browsing through the Teens section of a Barnes & Noble and I noticed something slightly disturbing. Horror stories seem to be so very popular with these kids these days. So much of the stuff is about vampires and zombies and the likes of them. My husband was similarly horrified when he was passing by a comic book store. It's unnerving, the stuff that kids read these days. What became of the good old Disney comics? Why don't people want to read Pride and Prejudice any more, instead of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I tell you, if that book was anywhere in my house, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I have actually always found the whole idea of horror movies and books rather repulsive, but this stuff for kids and young adults? I'm not sure if that's good stuff for kids to grow up on. Interestingly, that horrifying book cover was right next to the Parenting and Childcare books.

Well, that's just my opinion. I would want to keep my kids away from this sort of thing. But well, to each her own.

No comments: