Some tidbits of knowledge that I've gathered from my experience:
- Life is too short to live with regrets. Do just what your heart prompts you to do. Find your passion in life. Spend quality time with family and friends.
- Don't base your decisions on what "society" deems correct or acceptable. Nobody, other than your immediate family and close friends, really cares what you do or how you do it. And they are not going to be there for you to set things right when they go wrong.
- Being happy is entirely in your control. It's not about what happens to you, but about how you see things. It's about how soon and how well you are able to come to terms with the stuff that you cannot change or that was not meant to be the way you wanted it to be.
- If someone does something wrong or bad to you, not forgiving them only makes you unhappy and puts your happiness in their control. Let go of your grudges, forgive, make your peace, move on.
- Life doesn't always give you what you wanted, when you wanted it. Sometimes you are made to wait, to learn to be patient. Sometimes you get something totally different from what you wanted and realize that it was a lot better than what you originally thought you wanted. Your long-awaited Prince Charming may turn out to be an evil, devilish, scheming monster, as opposed to the extremely loving and caring Shrek you eventually end up with.