Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Stereotypes

I was talking to an old friend today and I told him that my husband's parents were coming over next week to stay with us for a while. He was excited about the fact that it would give me an opportunity to squabble with my mother-in-law.

I remember my grandmother telling me, just before my wedding, that, just because they are my in-laws and the media has given a certain image to mothers-in-law, I don't have to dislike them.

We build all these stereotypes in our minds about a lot of things. We think that things work a certain way. Well, even if that is the rule, there are always exceptions to the rule. My mother-in-law has such a calm temperament, I cannot imagine her arguing even with an aggressive person like me. Even I have mellowed down a little lately, by the way.

Life is full of random oddities. The good guys don't always win. Girls don't always like pink. And daughters-in-law don't always detest their mothers-in-law. I quite like mine.

No comments: