Thursday, June 11, 2009

Musings For Today

Some of my friends would recall how, a little over a year ago, when I started my blog, I used to write only on weekends. Gradually I moved on to writing a post a day, seven days a week. And now the tide has turned in the other direction. I write only on weekdays. Because weekends are for spending time with my husband. This blog has become more of an account of whatever has been going on in my life, rather than a record of thoughts. But I don't think anybody minds. I think most of my friends are quite happy that I keep them updated on the latest happenings in my life. Those who have the patience to read all those long-winded posts, that is!

There are very few things I am missing about my life in India. Being able to drive around on my own is one. There are still a few small issues that should be resolved in a week or so and I should be able to get my learner's permit, for starters. Regular access to things like bhelpuri is another. We went to a small carnival last evening, and that's when I discovered that street food in this country comprises of candied apples (which are really yummy, by the way), popcorn and nacho chips. I mean, you do get all the ingredients for bhelpuri or golgappe at Indian stores, but it's not the same as eating that stuff standing out on the street, now, is it?

In spite of the miles, I feel pretty well-connected to my family and friends. It's pretty easy and economical to talk to them all the time, you know. And there's always e-mail, orkut, facebook, and, of course, blogs.

On the other hand, there will certainly be some adjustment problems when I go back to India. For one, I have always been pretty intolerant to heat. I have become even more so now. And who knows what will happen after one snowy winter here. I have become used to organised traffic that almost always obeys the rules. This will be all the more so after I start driving. Where we live, it rains about once every three days. Life and traffic continues smoothly, as it also does when it snows, I have been made to understand. In Delhi and Noida, I have experienced insane traffic jams almost every time it rains slightly heavily, as, I'm sure, have most of us.

Well, you know, life in every part of the world has its own good side and its own flip side. One thing's for sure - you have to experience it for yourself in order to fully understand both sides. Every such experience leaves you enriched, wiser, more mature, and hopefully, more adaptable and open minded.

4 comments:

cornucopia_of_gobbledygook said...

Life without traffic jams... Man! I envy you!!

SURJEET said...

There is hardly any traffic jam in Noida. The strech - Adobe to DND is free to traffic during weekdays. I live opposite to Adobe and never saw any traffic jam in Noida. I have recently started reading you blog. Its wonderful!

Bhavya said...

cornucopia_of_gobbledygook: Yup, but that's only as long as you are in the suburbs. In the main city it's a bit of a hassle. But then, in the city you don't really need a car and you could take the train to just about anywhere.

SURJEET: Well I was talking about the times when it rains heavily and on those days it does get jammed. Or when the red light at the Adobe crossing breaks down. Or on Friday evening outside Spice mall. Even if it's not jammed, it taked a very unreasonable amount of time to get from, say, Adobe to Sab Mall, given that it's such a short distance!

Akash said...

@Bhavya: Hamara Noida bhi aisa ho jaayega jab Metro shuru ho jaayegi :P

aur vaise bhi Noida me Traffic jams are very rare...