Saturday, July 5, 2008

My Achievement Of The Day

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but it is a huge deal for me. I had a huge fear of driving with my parents sitting in my car. Both of them have a strong tendency to overreact and hyperventilate at little things. There was this one time when I tried to drive my Dad's car with him. He totally freaked me out the instant I took control of the steering. This was when I was just learning to drive. That afternoon I decided I simply could not drive with him. I could not let him teach me to drive.

A few months later I bought my own car and let my friends help me learn to drive it. I've faced any number of jokes from a lot of my friends, especially the guys, surrounding my driving skills. But eventually these friends helped me through it all. Jayant, in particular, had an almost magical effect on my confidence levels on two separate occasions. And Manoj dealt with me with an incredible amount of patience and regularity. Since then I've driven all over the city by myself and with my friends in tow. I've driven my brother Nikhil around. But I was terrified of driving either of my parents around.

In January this year I took the first leap. I took my Mom shopping in my car. That was a really short drive actually. Around three kilometres each way. Today I finally drove to Rajouri and back with my mamaji, Nikhil, and both my parents. Nothing bad happened. Totally peaceful. Feels good inside my head. I'm glad I faced that fear.

3 comments:

Akash said...

It's good and very important to cherish all these little happiness :)

BTW, Well done and congrats for ur achievements :)

Bhavya said...

Thank u ji :)

Joan Santani said...

It's indeed a nice feeling when you cross the first leap as you did in January. It infact boosts the confidence to great level.

Later when we get used to driving around, you will laugh at the problenms u had to face while learning "one of the simplest things" in this world.