Saturday, July 26, 2008

More From The American Sister Chronicles

This week my cousin sister from America came to visit again, for four days this time. She and her friend stayed with us this time. I was in charge of showing them around the city for the two days that I took off from work. As it happened, Delhi's weather did not agree too much with Kiran. Where my mamaji and his family live in the States, it's quite pleasant in the summer and snows in the winter. And Kiran and her friend spent the last one month in Dharamshala where the weather is really nice too. So she's not used to this sort of heat and humidity. Got really unwell on Wednesday. So we ended up spending most of the day at home, watching Failure To Launch on DVD, chatting, stuffing ourselves with mounds of food... only going out for a little while in the evening.

On Thursday I took Kiran and her friend to the Cottage Industries Emporium. We had a lovely time shopping there and at Janpath. I've been to Cottage a number of times before this. I never knew they had a kids section. That day we explored that section and bought all sorts of toys including a hot pink stuffed elephant. Thankfully the weather was a little kinder that day, with the sun hiding behind the clouds and a pleasant breeze. So our Janpath shopping experience was pretty good.

Later that evening, my parents and Nikhil and I took the girls to Red Fort for the light and sound show. It was a nice way to peek into the history of Delhi. The show was very similar to what goes on in Golconda fort in Hyderabad. Interestingly, I saw the one at Golconda more than two years ago when I visited Hyderabad. But I wasn't even aware that there was a similar show at Red Fort until a few months after the Hyderabad trip. And I did not actually see it until this Thursday.

Had a late dinner after the show at Slice Of Italy. The only time we had non-Indian food during Kiran's stay. Because she actually likes Indian food a lot. And she relished it at every meal during her month-long stay in India.

On Friday morning I had to go back to work. And the girls were supposed to leave for the airport early in the evening, before I'd be back. So we said our goodbyes in the morning, in the hope of visiting each other again in the near future.

No comments: