Saturday, July 26, 2008

If I'd Known How Savage Love Is...

If I'd known how savage love is
I'd have shut the door...


Lines from Don't Look Away that plays in the background in the opening sequence of Mr And Mrs Iyer. I love that movie. I love these lines. I love the story. I love the way it's presented. The performances are amazing. If you didn't know better, you would just not believe that Konkona Sen is not South Indian. I have seen that movie a number of times over. It evokes this feeling that, no matter how bad things get, there is always something nice in the middle of it all. In the middle of riots and violence, you can spend a couple of awesome days falling in love. Although, as it turns out, that love was a little inappropriate and did not lead anywhere. Which brings me back to the lines from the song that I started with. Can you actually shut the door? Can you actually stop yourself from falling in love with someone with whom you think it is inappropriate for you to fall in love? I don't really think so. You can prevent yourself from expressing the feeling, you can keep it from getting in the way of your normal social and professional tasks, but you can't keep yourself from feeling that feeling. Because it doesn't knock on the door, you know. You can shut the door as tightly as you want, but it will just barge in.

That's what I think. I know a number people who've been through this sort of thing. I've been through it. I still know that a lot of people are going to disagree with me. But I'm pretty firm on this. If you were able to choose whether or not to fall in love with someone, it was probably not love to begin with. It was something milder that you would have got over pretty soon anyway. But if it was supposed to be love, it will take you over eventually. It might be a more selfless form of love, that does not need to be reciprocated in full measure, but it will be love.

But you know, I also sometimes think that if you haven't loved with all your heart and soul and had your heart broken, you can't really appreciate true love when you find it. You need to feel the pain, experience the total agony, in order to fully enjoy basking in the sunshine when the sun comes out from behind the clouds and smiles at you. And until that happens, you need to hang on to the hope that it will shine down in your yard and brighten up your days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

no body could have said it better...as u have said :)

Unknown said...

Beautifully written! I agree with you totally. Do you know the lyrics of the song?

Akshay said...

I love listening this song. Just came across your blog when i was trying to search for the lyrics. Well said and well written. :)

sanyukta said...

Good

sanyukta said...

Good

Gaurav said...

No ma'am,
There is nothing inappropriate when it comes to love..
Gaurav

Unknown said...

Absolute bliss to read this note. Also, i’m Happy someone shares the same obsession that i have with this movie.